Posts for tag: Neuromas
Foot issues can be debilitating. There are leading foot problems you ought to look out for. Dr. Jesse Anderson of AAL Podiatry Associates can help answer and treat conditions in Norfolk and Suffolk, VA.
Leading Foot Problems
- Bunions: This is when the big toe joint is misaligned. You may experience swollen and tender joints. Bunions are usually hereditary but poor shoes aggravate this issue and corrective surgery may be necessary from your Norfolk and Suffolk podiatrist.
- Hammertoes: This is when the toe is bent like a claw. Any toe may be affected but it's usually the second toe. Avoid shoes and socks that crowd toes to avoid pain or discomfort.
- Heel Spurs: Heel spurs are bone growths that occur when the plantar tendon pulls at attachments to the heel bone. This area calcifies forming a spur.
- Ingrown Toenails: Poorly cut toenails can dig into the skin. This can also be a result of shoe pressure, injury, fungal infection, genetics, and poor foot structure. You can prevent this issue by trimming toenails straight across and choosing proper shoe styles and sizes.
- Neuromas: These are enlarged benign nerve growths commonly found between the third and fourth toes. Neuromas occur because of irritated nerves, pressure from ill-fitting shoes, and an abnormal bone structure.
- Plantar Fasciitis: Heel and arch pain occurs when the plantar fasciitis tissue on the bottom of the foot is inflamed. Treatment options your podiatrist may suggest include icing, foot exercises, and prescription orthotics.
- Shin Splints: This is pain on either side of the leg bone. Causes range from muscle or tendon inflammation to excessive foot pronation. Proper stretching and corrective orthotics can help.
- Stress Fractures: Cracks in the bone because of overuse heal quickly with rest. Extra padding is a good preventive measure but if left untreated, stress fractures may lead to complete bone fractures, requiring casting.
Are you suffering from a foot problem that requires a podiatrist's attention?
Want to learn more about treating foot pain from AAL Podiatry Associates? Call Dr. Jesse Anderson, at the Norfolk, VA, office, at (757) 625-2962 or Suffolk, VA, office at (757) 539-2098 for more information.